Your garage door not working correctly can be a significant inconvenience. After all, your garage is likely one of the places where you store your most valuable possessions. Not to mention, a malfunctioning garage door can also be a safety hazard.
There are a few prevalent garage door problems that you may be experiencing. These include the door not opening or closing correctly, the door being off track, or the door opener not working correctly.
In some instances, these problems can be fixed with a simple repair. However, there are also times when garage door repair is not an option, and replacement is your only choice.
So before getting into the details, here are some of those common problems to look out for:
Common Garage Door Problems
- Broken springs: Garage doors rely on several springs for proper operation, but your entire system will usually shut down when one spring breaks or fails.
Springs are made from heavy-duty materials like steel and are under considerable tension, so they’re prone to breaking.
If your garage door isn’t working as it should, or if you hear a loud noise during operation, it’s likely that one of the springs has broken and needs to be a replacement.
- Misaligned tracks: Your garage door’s tracks need to be in the correct position for smooth operation. If the tracks are bent or warped, the door will have difficulty moving up and down and may even become stuck in place. You can usually fix this issue by simply straightening out the tracks with a hammer or other tool.
- Broken cables: Another common issue that can cause your garage door to malfunction is broken cables.
These cables support the door as it moves up and down, but if they snap or become frayed, the door will become unbalanced and could come crashing down. Inspect the cables periodically to look for any signs of damage, and replace them if necessary.
- Worn-out rollers: The rollers on your garage door tracks can also wear down over time, causing the door to become less stable and more likely to break. Inspect them regularly and replace them when they show signs of wear.
- Defective opener: If your garage door opener does not function properly, it could be due to several different issues. Ensure that the batteries are fresh, the unit is plugged in correctly, and no loose wires or connections.
You can also try resetting the opener by unplugging it, then plugging it back in and pressing the “learn” button on your unit. If none of these solutions work, contact a professional garage door repair service to look at your opener and make any necessary adjustments.
Garage door repair vs. garage door replacement
If you’re experiencing any common problems with your garage door, it’s most likely time for a minor repair or a full-scale replacement.
In most cases, minor repairs can be made by replacing worn or damaged parts—for example, springs or cables—but more significant problems will require the assistance of an expert garage door repair contractor.
This brings us to the next question. When should you call for a repair, and when is it time for a replacement?
Here are some tips to help guide your decision:
When to consider garage door replacement
- If there are issues with broken springs or cables, replacement is often your only option.
- In some cases, misalignment in tracks may also require replacement if the issue cannot be repaired.
- Problems with sensors and other safety features can also call for garage door replacement instead of repairs if they are too complex for an untrained professional to handle.
- If you’re experiencing frequent problems with your garage doors despite the regular maintenance, it may be a sign that it’s time to replace them.
- If your garage door is 15+ years old, you may have to install a new garage door.
When to consider garage door repair:
- If the issue is with the opener, then a repair may be all that’s needed.
- If the problem is with something simple like the tracks being off, a repair may also work.
- If your existing garage door is less than 15 years old, then a repair is likely all that’s needed to get it back in working order.
Consult Garage Door Repair Experts
If you’re experiencing any problems with your garage door, it’s always best to consult a professional garage door repair contractor for expert advice and assistance.
At Tascosa Overhead Door Co., we focus on offering services that will last you for years. Our inspection is also thorough to ensure we offer the best solution for each problem.
With 45+ years of experience serving our local clients, no garage door problem is above us; we have reliable answers to any garage door problem you may be experiencing.
We serve Amarillo, TX and the surrounding areas.
We offer various high-quality garage door repair services.
Primary services include:
Other services we offer include:
- Spring replacement: If you’re experiencing problems with your garage door springs, it’s best to call in an expert technician to assess the situation and recommend the best course of action.
- At Tascosa Overhead Door Co, we offer a variety of high-quality spring repair services designed to help resolve any issues. We set the correct spring tension to ensure the operation is smooth.
- Cable replacement: Worn or damaged cables are another common problem that can affect the operation and safety of your garage door. In this case, it’s best to consult an expert team who can assess the issue quickly and accurately and perform adjustments as necessary. We have years of experience providing fast and effective cable repair services for our customers.
- Opener repair: Openers are a vital part of any garage door, and there is no alternative o having it in perfect condition. We offer repair services specific to your opener’s situation and tips on keeping it in an excellent working state.
- Track cleaning and lubrication: Another common problem that can affect the operation of your garage door is dirt and debris build-up on the tracks. This can cause sticking or jamming when the door opens or closes, which is annoying and dangerous!
- We provide fast and effective track cleaning services so that you can get back to using your garage door as usual. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment with an experienced technician!
Why choose us:
There are many reasons why customers choose Tascosa Overhead Door Co. for all of their garage door repair needs.
We’re a locally operated business with over 45 years of experience in the industry, so you can rest assured that we know what we’re doing!
We also dedicate our time and effort to providing outstanding customer service—we’ll always be respectful of your time and property, and we’ll never leave a job until you’re satisfied.
If our 5.0-star rating on Angie’s List is anything to go by, you can be sure we will offer flawless services.
And, to give you a peace of mind, we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our services.
Q: Do you offer emergency repair services?
A: Yes! At Tascosa Overhead Door Co., we understand garage door problems can occur at any time, day or night. Our emergency services are also available 24/7. For more information or scheduling service with an experienced technician, give us a call today!
Q: How long will it take to repair my garage door?
A: The amount of time it takes to repair your garage door will depend on the specific problem that you’re experiencing. Our team will assess the issue and provide you with an estimated time frame for the repairs. In most cases, we’re able to complete the job quickly and efficiently so that you can get back to using your garage as usual.
Q: Can you repair all types of garage doors?
A: Yes! Our team has over four decades of experience working on garage doors, including residential, commercial, and industrial doors and sliding and roll-up garage doors. Whether you have a standard door or an automated panel lift door, we can help.
Q: What kinds of payment methods do you accept?
A: We accept cash, check, and all major credit cards (Visa®, MasterCard®).
Q: How do I get started?
A: To get started with garage door repair services, give us a call or fill out our online form to schedule an appointment.
We’ll send a technician to your home or business at the date and time you choose, and they’ll assess the problem and provide you with a free, no-obligation estimate.
You can decide whether you’d like to proceed with the repairs. It’s that easy!